You are in the CarrTracks website Picture Gallery.
This gallery covers former Texas & Pacific trackage from near Longview, TX west to Midland and contains 41 pictures. The Texas & Pacific built from Longview to Dallas completing this line on July 1, 1873. The T&P became the second railroad to enter Dallas. The Houston and Texas Central had built through Dallas a year earlier on it way north to connect with the MKT.
In 1911 Dallas adopted the Kessler Plan which moved all railroads out of the central district and onto a belt line around the city. T&P trains going west swing southwest at T&P Junction (on the east side of Dallas, later named MP Junction) to Belt Junction, then swing northwest though the joint yard to Union Station. Union Station opened in 1916. If you have ever been to the old Age of Steam Museum when it was at Fair Park, it sat right next to the former T&P mainline that continued west, then down Pacific Avenue to just north of Union Station. Today's Central Expressway sits on top of the original Houston and Texas Central line through Dallas.
The first installation of signals on the T&P was in 1926 when it added 36 color light signals between Longview, TX and Marshall 23 miles. Previous operation used five manual block stations. At the time the line handled 30 up to as high as 58 trains a day. In 1927, it installed 170 GRS type D color light signals and 12 dwarf signals in two projects: Dallas, TX to Fort Worth 32 miles and Texarkana to Marshall, TX 67 miles. In 1928, it added GRS color light signals Longview to Dallas 121 miles 207 signals, Fort Worth to Baird 133 miles 240 signals, and Baird to Toyah 281 miles 431 signals. The project to Toyah was completed in December 1928 and gave the T&P signals for 666 miles between Texarkana and Toyah. Also in 1928, it built two towers. Tower 137 had an 18 lever GRS model 2 interlocking machine at crossing of the Cotton Belt in Big Sandy. Tower 150 was an 8 lever Saxby & Farmer mechanical interlocking at Eastland. In 1929, it installed 135 GRS color light signals Toyah, TX to Sierra Blanca 103 miles, 63 signals between Marshall and Shreveport 26 miles, and 158 signals Livonia, LA to Alexandria 78 miles.
In 1929, T&P installed CTC on 21.9 miles on newly completed double track from Fort Worth to Grand Prairie (10 miles west of Dallas) controlled 14 switches and 36 signals. In 1930 it added another 10 miles of double track west of Dallas and ordered GRS materials to modify the CTC machine with six additional levers to control 10 switches. The modified machine would then control all traffic between Dallas and Fort Worth. The CTC machine was in Arlington. In 1929 the daily traffic was 12 passenger and 31 to as many as 36 freight trains a day. It also hosted 2 Santa Fe passenger trains each day. In 1935, after the stock market crash, traffic dropped to 10 passenger and 10 freight trains a day.
In 1936 it installed GRS CTC to control six power switches and 16 signals between Texarkana, TX and Springdale 14 miles. At the time, the line had 14 passenger and 14 to 16 freight trains a day. In 1937, it added CTC Atlanta to Springdale 9 miles to Texarkana to Springdale CTC machine. In 1938, it installed CTC Marshall to Longview 23 miles. The CTC machine had 22 levers controlling 11 switches 55 signals. In 1942 it installed CTC from Marshall to Atlanta 43 miles. In 1945, it installed CTC between Big Sandy and Longview 24 miles. In 1955 the Marshall to Longview segment had 14 passenger and about 18 freight trains a day. In 1957, it installed GRS CTC Fort Worth, TX to Judd 63 miles. The CTC machine at Santo controlled 16 switches and 69 signals. In 1958, it extended the CTC to Clyde, built a new dispatchers office at Baird and moved the CTC machine from Santo to Baird.
The T&P came under the control of the Missouri Pacific in 1926 and was official merged with it in 1976.