You are in the CarrTracks website Picture Gallery.

AT&SF Railway freight train symbol 508 at Grants, NM

AT&SF Railway freight train symbol 508 at Grants, NM

Three brothers from Canada, Angus, Lewis, and John Grant were contracted to help build the railroad through this area. The first base camp became known as Grant's Camp, then Grant's Station, and eventually just Grants. Train 508 (Extra 5694 West) is coming by the US Gypsum plant in Grants on June 16, 1979. Double track opened between McCartys and Grants in 1912. Grants is at milepost 97 at an elevation of 6,450 feet. This picture was taken before CTC was added in 1984 as the single mast has a signal for westbound traffic on the south track and a signal for eastbound traffic on the north track. Picture above is on disk 64.

AT&SF Railway (now Amtrak) Super Chief at Grants, NM

Amtrak's Super Chief rumbles by the Grants depot during September 1972. The depot at Grants was built in the 1940s and torn down in 2008.