The original railroad line went through the town of Laguna. The pictures above was taken around 1890 and is also in the Library of Congress. The second picture is the eastbound California Limited. During the double track project in 1924 the mainline was routed north of town and the original track pulled out of downtown Laguna. The picture below was taken by Jack west of Laguna as the train passed the New Laguna railroad station.
Notice that the railroad has put down new asphalt on the eastbound mainline as a station walkway. Notice in the next picture that the agent has returned the train order board to stop.