B&O eastbound freight train at North Vernon, IN

You are in the CarrTracks website Picture Gallery.

B&O eastbound freight train at North Vernon, IN

North Vernon had a fair sized yard at one time. This line from Cincinnati to East St. Louis was built by the Ohio & Mississippi Railroad as a 6-foot gauge railroad in 1857. It was converted to standard gauge in 1871 and was acquired by the B&O in 1893. In 1937, the B&O added 237 GRS color postion signals between North Vernon, ID and Vincennes.

B&O eastbound freight train in the siding at North Vernon, IN Picture of B&O eastbound freight train at North Vernon, IN

Partway down the siding at North Vernon, Extra 4447 East passes B&O engine 3763.

photo of B&O eastbound freight train at North Vernon, IN

The train is about to cross of an old Pennsylvania Railroad branch between Columbus and Madison. The train stopped about 100 feet further down the siding and then cut the crossing so it wouldn't be blocked for an excessive amount of time. Disk 117